Home Page Issues Publishing Principles Order Form Links Contact Türkçe
Detailed Search  
Click here to visit Anmed Web Site
If you would like to get announcement mails about Akmed activities, please subcribe to our mailling list.
E-Mail:
First name:
Last name:
 
 
 
 

S U M M A R Y

Nouvelles inscriptions sur le territoire d’Apollonia Mordiaion
Mehmet ÖZSAİT – Guy LABARRE – Murat ARIK – İlhan GÜCEREN
Our surveys continued in part of the territorium of ancient Apollonia Mordiaion (Uluborlu). Our aim was to complete the surveys initiated earlier in the Popa Çayı valley that extends from Uluborlu to Lake Hoyran in the east. So we surveyed the villages of Küçükkabaca, Yassıören, Başköy, Ortayazı and Büyükkabaca.

Before Tymandos assumed the status of a city some time between A.D. 297 and 305, this valley was entirely in the territorium of Apollonia. However, we do not know the borders of Tymandos’ territorium after the above-mentioned dates.

The municipal park of Büyükkabaca in the Senirkent district exhibits milestones and tomb stelae gathered from the surrounding area. Six of them bear inscriptions. Our surveys in Büyükkabaca Yaylası identified five underground graves, some of which were destroyed by workers at the marble quarry there. Here again, on the east foot of Takke Tepe there are two votive/libation pits cut into the rock.

A milestone at Büyükkabaca, broken on top, has an inscription within a smoothened rectangular frame containing the names of Constans and Constantius, sons of F. Valerius Constantinus I (Magnus). Perhaps in the upper part of the milestone, in another frame, the name of the emperor and his namesake son Constantinus were mentioned. Letter characters suggest a date between A.D. 333 and 337. The Via Sebaste leading from Apameia Kibotos (Dinar) to Pisidian Antioch (Yalvaç) passes through Apollonia’s territorium. Milestones from this road recorded to date are: three milestones from Hadrian’s reign (A.D. 117-138) regarding repairs; four from the Severan period (A.D. 193-235); and milestones of Philippus, Carus and their sons Carinus and Numerianus, Constantinus I and Licinius.

In addition to three inscriptions published by J. R. S. Sterrett in 1888 from Başköy (ancient Bisse, meaning, “highland pastures”), located 11 km. north-east of Senirkent, we identified three door stones, one osteothek, and a stele fragment with inscription and pediment. The cemetery of Ortayazı village (formerly Güreme), located 9 km. east of Senirkent contains many pieces probably carried from Tymandos. One column and a door stone with depictions are among those presented here (except those previously published).

Road construction on the northern base of the Uluborlu Citadel (Apollonia) exposed a statue base, broken but containing two lines of an honorary inscription. Letter characters indicate the first or second century A.D.

Our previous surveys at Küçükkabaca (formerly Esendere), 7 km. north of Senirkent, brought to our attention numerous inscriptions and architectural pieces from Apollonia. We had some of them transferred to the Uluborlu Museum. In addition to Sterrett’s publications of 1888 and the MAMA team’s collections, we published six new items (milestone, stele and door stone etc.) identified by us in 2011 in Adalya XIV. Three more items – one stele, one door stone and a block with cross motif - were added to these this year.

On the left side of the road leading to İnhisar village 9 km. north-west of Uluborlu is a rock tomb chamber on the south-east lower foot of Mt. Hasantaş (1260 m.). This tomb, located 50 m. west of the village road and 15 m. above, dominates the Popa Çayı valley up to Lake Hoyran. It has a saddle ceiling rising to 1.65 m., measures 1.88x2.35 m. and has one kline. Above the doorway is an inscription measuring 0.53x0.93 m. but largely illegible. The first three letters are legible and are like the contents of an inscription from Sozopolis dated to 1069/70 in the reign of Romanus IV Diogenes (A.D. 1067-1071). We are of the opinion that the tomb is much earlier in date.

Prof. Dr. Mehmet Özsait,
İstanbul Üniversitesi, Edebiyat Fakültesi, Eskiçağ Tarihi Anabilim Dalı,
Ordu Cad. No: 196, Laleli-İstanbul
E-mail: mehmetozsait@hotmail.com

Prof. Dr. Guy Labarre,
ISTA - Université de Franche-Comté (Besançon)
E-mail: guy.labarre@univ-fcomte.fr

Murat Arık,
Archéologue, Kültür ve Turizm Bakanlığı, Ulus-Ankara

İlhan Güceren,
Musée d’Isparta

Article List